Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Awareness Day!

Lots to say, just preparing ya! Busy day...

March 31st is CHD awareness day. I ordered some bracelets and ribbons and proudly passed them out at the hospital today. =) I bought Marcus and I t-shirts that say mommy and daddy with the turquoise ribbons.

A lot went down today. The ENT doc came in and changed Camden's trach out for the first time. So, this was the first time Marcus and I got to see it. It was shocking for the first few seconds to see that hole in my baby's throat, but I was fine! He gave us an earful in 1o minutes, then bronched Camden again and said the broncomalasia looks better. My husband finally asked him to give us a percentage of just how much better. ( I thought that was a great ?) The ENT said it was 50 % better!! That took me by surprise and I was just so thankful to God! Then they took him completing from 5 to OFF on the pressure support, so he is now strictly on CPAP pressure. Tomorrow they will give him windows off everything to see how he does. Completely off the vent. Yes, it is moving too fast for me!! One doctor wants him sent home on vent, others do not. We just aren't sure what Camden will do as of yet, but either way he is coming home soon..... on or off the vent! I finally asked one physician when they are thinking of kicking us out. She said it will be a maximum of one month, but they are hoping to cut it shorter than that. (Um, I need to get things ready!) It is now all about Marcus and I being totally comfortable in the trach/emergency care. We have learned a lot already, taking turns hanging out at the hospital doing Camden's care. If he goes home without the vent we will have to stay two nights at the hospital and do all the care before going home. If he goes home ON the vent, we'll have to stay longer. So we will know more in a few weeks.

He is also getting his tongue clipped ( he was tongue tied too ) and will be starting speech therapy. They are all very concerned about him learning to suck and want to eat and want to get that ball rolling.

Oh, and I gave him a bath today for the first time. He pitched a fit, but Im okay with it now because I can pick him right up and comfort him. Then he smiles. Little stinker!
He loves his bouncy seat and wasn't over stimulated with the music and vibration. He is tolerating things so well. Still not sucking paci, but we still work on it. We also give him dum dum lollipops to taste. LOL ( yes, good thing they do not contain hydrogenated oils, and even the nurses pick on me about it - now you quit laughing, Gentges ;p) They actually put in an order for that. ;) They were out, so I went to walmart and got some, but all they had was huge bags and I am now stuck with 300 dum dums.

I think that is all for now....

4 comments:

  1. YAY Dev! It will all be over before you know it and your little man will be home. I remember how trying these first weeks can be. You think you will never get out of them and then suddenly they are 13 and doing really well. I remember all this stuff with Robbie. He never had a trach but there were plenty of other things. Im so proud of you! He is beautiful and Im so happy to hear that he is so happy. Speech and Language will be great, usually those people help so much.
    Hugs girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you know I'd crack up at that!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA I about fell off my chair.

    I'm so happy to hear you both are able to be at the hospital together. I'm praying for you both to stay strong, together.

    Camden looks like such a sweetie Devon. He of course is gonna be a stinker... he comes by it honestly!

    Can't wait til you're at home full time with him. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and do I need to go searching for more candy that is hydro-free for him??? I will, you just say it and I'm there!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so HUGE for him to be on C-Pap only!! It is so amazing to think he has jumped all those hurdles in 9 weeks! I am so proud of you & Marcus. Camden is so blessed to have you guys! I can not wait to hold him!!! I love that smile.God is soooo good!!!! Hugs & love for all my babes from Nana& Papa
    ( currently in Atlanta getting Papa fine tuned til Friday~ he is doing awesome too!)

    ReplyDelete