Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mooovin on up...

....on feeding pump rates and mls..... ;p






He had 7 ml from a bottle today! I started with him 4 days ago and he is doing much better than I expected. I hook him to the g tube right when we begin, so he associates it with the full feeling. Not sucking the whole time, but tolerating it anywhere from 15-30 minutes! I am realizing that he has a much weaker suck than I thought. With the sucks he is doing, he should be getting way more out, but as we keep practicing it will get stronger. It feels very strange giving a bottle!! Not only because I have only breastfed my others, but Camden doing something orally with food looks so strange. A good strange. It is so exciting, but a chore at the same time. I have to rock and sing loud to keep his focus off the fact that he has the bottle in his mouth. The more I distract him, the more he sucks without realizing it. ;p Does mostly biting, but he does better and better with each feed.






As for the rate on the feeding pump....tomorrow I am trying 90 ml over an hour. ( he gets a total of 130 ml each daytime feed ) He is gagging and spitting up once with just about every other feed. It wakes him up out of his sleep like maybe his stomach is hurting. ;( Then once he is stirred up that is when he throws up, so I am thinking it isn't just about the rate of the food.






Had OT again today and was a booger!! Did not want to participate and was hard headed! ( He must get that from his dad ) Then he would laugh when I would pick him up..... :s He is getting much stronger in the trunk each week and is doing great with head control.
Camden started his 6 hrs a day off the ventilator and is doing perfect. He does 2 hours three times a day. It is so nice to have more free time with my "tube free" baby.



My father had a quad bypass yesterday and it was a success! Micah and I were able to ride up there to see him after he got out and then zip back home. He was completely out of it of course, but looked very good considering what he had just been through. Mom says he is doing very well today too!! At 72 he is still one of the strongest and hardest working men I know.....



Thank you, Lord!









3 comments:

  1. thanks for the update Dev. Glad things are going so well. And will be praying that your dad recovers quickly and remains healthy for a long time! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. how wonderful!!! so so happy for the little man!!!
    looking forward to seeing you soon!!!
    lots of love love from the cowgill crew!!!
    and cute as a button...well cuter...lol..!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to hear how good Camden is doing. At the rate he is advancing, you will not have to sing at all to distract him. Our prayers are with you guys and especially your Mom and Dad as he goes through his recovery.

    ReplyDelete