Thursday, April 22, 2010

Milk allergy

Yep. =( I had a blood panel done last week for allergies because of the symptoms he had over pediasure and a few times during breast milk days. He is allergic to milk. I will say I knew he had an allergy, but had no idea it was that. Sooo...all day I have been thinking about it, and there are so many symptoms that milk may be causing that I could be blaming other things for. He is lethargic and puky every morning. Of course he has severe reflux, but has milk made it more severe? He is on a continuous milk based formula through the night, so it could be! As upset i was to hear that he even has an allergy, I cant wait to get it OUT of his system to see a change in him. Tonight he is on a soy formula and I will alter the blenderized diet until I talk with the nutritionist again.

Also, I called the nursing company and stopped nursing all together. I am not finishing the month and Camden IS in with us. A little cough has also settled in his chest, but it hasnt been too bad so daddy and I have taken shifts to sleep on the side of the bed closest to him to suction when needed. ( he normally doesnt need too much suctioning at night, sometimes never) Poor thing. He is fine during the day, just coughing every now and then, and then at night he needs a bit more O2 and coughs much more, but other than that it hasn't worn him out too bad. Now I know why he was so clingy and whiny last week.

Tomorrow we go see the ENT for ear plug follow up. He has been poking at his ears, so Im wondering if they fell out, Not trying to be debby downer, but his ears are still bothering him. I am a bit sad that we wont be seeing his DR and just the nurse practitioner because I was really wanting to see if we could start weaning him off this trach. All in time & just trying to be patient. He is just soo close, and doing so well which I am so grateful for. This time last year we were preparing to leave the NICU after a 3.5 mth stay. He has come so far this past year...

3 comments:

  1. Charlie will be having a blood panel done next month to check for sure, but we are fairly certain that he has a milk allergy too. He reacted in February when we started to introduce whole milk. My husband also has a very severe milk allergy, so it does not come as a surprise and we are already very well versed in how to handle it. If you want to bounce dairy allergy ideas or concerns around, feel free to contact me!

    :-) Patty D'Angelo
    patricia.j.dangelo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. As my dear friend always says, slow and steady wins the race! I'm finding the trach is much more work than I ever thought. Even though I took care of them at the hospital and I knew they were always needing suctioning. But any little cold or allergy keeps me up all night with him. Its so exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about his milk allergy but I hope the change is a positive one for him. Sorry he is feeling sick and his ears still bother him. Hopefully they can figure it all out.

    Thinking of you guys and praying...

    ReplyDelete