Friday, May 25, 2012

sick and surgery cancelled

So much for getting this over with, but Camden has had a continuos fever since Wednesday around midnight. So, surgery off and we will reschedule or I may do another upper GI and some xrays to see how things are looking now. Im full of mixed emotions, as usual. He managed to eat part of a pickle the other night which is normally never able to happen. This doesn't mean his nissen isnt still too tight, just makes me wonder and keeps me confused. He still is retching sometimes during tube feeds (he isnt able to throw up with nissen) over a small amount of volume. We are back to the feeding pump all the time, so I am able to monitor volume and rate. So the retching is bothering me. It's normal for him to retch when he gets full too fast, but not this bad. He has always been able to tolerate 5 ounces at a time, now gets sick over 2, and this is the reason we are back on the pump with a slower rate. So the retching is something that has started up again NOT related to the nissen, reason that I want to check things out again.

For those who were wondering what this surgery was for: The Nissen (there are a few types, but I'll just try to give the basic understanding as best as I can) is where the surgeon takes some of the upper part of stomach and wraps it around the bottom of esophagus to protect esophagus (kind of forming a flap?) from severe reflux, OR to protect lungs from aspiration. With Camden having severe respiratory distress as a baby plus severe reflux he definately needed one. He had the first nissen wrap done at 9 weeks old along with his trach and gtube surgery. Then he reherniated at 9 mths old (colon was growing through his artificial diaphragm.) and his nissen happen to unravel at the same time, so it was redone at that time his diaphragm was fixed. Camden never ate anything by mouth and then when he was around 2 he started to experiment with food and that is when I noticed something wasnt right. Bottom line this nissen is too TIGHT causing food to get stuck in it. Camden is then stuck trying to get it out of his esophagus which is awful to watch, especially when he doesnt have the ability to throw up. In this past year the surgeon has tried to stretch the nissen through endocopy twice now (to avoid him being cut open for the 4th time) which has helped a little, but it has been over a year and we haven't accomplished much. The concerns were reintubating him for each stretching and not knowing if the stretching would actually even get the job done. So, I have put of redoing the nissen until today......which has been cancelled due to the fever. =/ I still do not know what is going on inside his little body, but I thought if we fixed the nissen, (or tried, there is no promises with all Camden's scar tissue) at least that part would be accomplished.

I skipped details, but I hope the above explained it well enough. =)

Camden wants to eat sometimes. For this to happen, we have to try to get things working if possible. This surgery has taken forever to get on the schedule for different reasons. Maybe God has other plans, I dont know,  so we just wait for His guidance. Im the mean, time Camden is over all doing so well and I am beyond thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Devon, I'm so sorry! I hope he feels better soon and I hope that soon, you will be able to get some answers and be able to get him eating! It must be awful when he WANTS to eat but can't and heartbreaking to watch him retch all the time. That always made me feel terrible, when Grace retched,(and she did, often!) I hated it. Thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete